Nowadays all you hear about is the benefits of antioxidants, and suggestions to incorporate them into your diet. Want to know what the buzz is about?
Antioxidants are nutrients that prevent or slow oxidative damage throughout the body. They repair damage done by free radicals in our environment. Oxidants and free radicals can lead to serious health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancers.
Natural antioxidants are mainly found in fruits, vegetables, marine plants, and certain types of seafood. Check out our list of antioxidants along with their benefits below.
- Vitamin A & Carotenoids: Found in carrots, squash, broccoli, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, kale, collards, cantaloupe, peaches and apples.
- Vitamin C: Found in citrus fruits, peppers, leafy green vegetables, strawberries, and tomatoes.
- Vitamin E: Found in nuts, seeds, whole grains, and leafy green vegetables.
- Selenium: Found in fish, shellfish, red meat, grains, eggs, chicken and garlic.
- Flavoniods & Polyphenols: Found in soy, red wine, purple and red grapes, pomegranates and tea.
- Lycopene: Found in tomatoes, pink grapefruit, and watermelon.
- Lutein: Found in dark green vegetables such as kale, broccoli, and spinach.
- Lignan: Found in flax seed, oatmeal, barley, and rye.
Oxidation is a natural process that happens to everyone, but a diet rich in antioxidants can help keep the level of free radicals in your body low. Other activities that increase the number of free radicals within our body include smoking, drinking, and tanning. Avoiding these behaviors can also decrease the number of free radicals our bodies are exposed to.
For more information on Antioxidants visit: Greatist.com