April is Stress Awareness month, which is why we developed this list of ways to help combat stress in your life. Stress can be caused by many factors in your life including: work related stress, emotional stress, relationship stress, or drastic changes in your life that affect your well-being.
Adopting a Healthy Lifestyle is a great defense to stressors that can appear in your life, follow the list of suggestions below to decrease stress and anxiety.
Stress Management Tips:
- Avoid sugar and excess carbohydrates including white bread, pasta, cookies and candy. These culprits can spike your blood sugar levels, causing your insulin levels to crash, and ultimately lead to weight gain and inflammation.
- Develop a regular schedule for your week. Try to go to bed around the same time every night, and opt for at least 7 hours of shut-eye per night. Lack of sleep can cause you to overeat, have limited energy, and ultimately lead to stress in your body.
- Eat a healthy diet. Begin the day with a healthy breakfast, to keep your energy levels up. Continue to eat nutritious food throughout the day, a balanced diet helps defend against stress.
- Do something that you enjoy every day. Whether it is cooking a savory meal, going for a bike ride, or reading a book. Make time for things that bring you happiness.
- Avoid cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs. Although these substances may provide temporary relief, the long term affects are permanent. These substances will lead to health problems down the road, and they don’t address the problem, they just mask and allow the issue to build.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Having a strong support system will help buffer the negative effects of stress. The people you surround yourself with influence your overall mood. If you are around positive people you’re more likely to reflect positive energy.
These are just a few suggestions of changes you can make to reduce stressors in your life. For more information visit the Federal Occupational Health website.
What are your favorite ways to reduce stress?